Product Reviews from a Scientific Perspective

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How to Cure Your Allergies with Vitamin C

Note: By using the information presented in this blog, you agree to the terms described in the post entitled "Mission Statement and Disclaimer." Basically, you are solely responsible for whatever personal usage of this information.

Or, how to cure your allergies


This product claims that it's "delicious" and "chewable," and has rose hips. Rose hips are primarily there for flavor; although it contains Vitamin C, it's not going to account for the entire 500 mg in a tablet. Vitamins C is fairly easy to absorb, so you don't have to worry about choosing a product with the right supplements (unlike Vitamin D or E). So pay big attention to price. Speaking of which, you can order this particular product online if you click the picture above.


My Personal Success

My college had an outdoor arboretum, with exotic trees from all over the world. Combined with the fact that my school was entirely composed of nerds (who already have a naturally tendency to have allergies), this meant that every single person on campus had allergies during the springtime, whether or not they had allergies before they went to college.

Sadly, having had severe allergies
BEFORE I had ever stepped onto the campus, I was dying every spring.

Until one life-changing semester when one of my biology professors

introduced me to the awesome power of Vitamin C. You see, she had actually attended the school when she was an undergrad, and had allergies worse than mine. Her throat could actually close up from all the pollen. But, she told me, when she had taken massive doses of vitamin C, she had actually cured herself of allergies!

Well, at this point, I was desperate for anything. And, to be honest, it was just Vitamin C. You can't really overdose in this vitamin (though you CAN OVERDOSE on other vitamins, see below), and if you manage to, you'll have diarrhea way before anything bad happens.

After taking in more than 5,000 milligrams of Vitamin C a day, within three weeks, my allergies were gone. And it was at the height of the allergy pandemic (ie spring)!


If you're going to take Vitamin C, do it like a man! Don't go below 500 mg per chew. 500 mg or 1,000 mg tablets are best for the average person. If you're willing to carry around a bottle of the 250 mg tablets and eat them all day, that's fine too. Again, you can order this particular product online if you click the picture above.

The Science

Allergies aren't actually entirely bad in the long term. There are studies that show evidence that people with strong allergies or asthma tend to have lower cancer rates. Why?

Because
allergies result from a hyperactive immune system.

Normally,
your immune system will identify anything that is foreign to your system and attack it. Bacteria floating around in your bloodstream? Viruses inside of cells? Parasites inside your body? The way your immune system takes these bad boys down is through antibodies, which stick to the outsides of these guys. Then your white cells come by and swallow them up, puncture holes into them, or otherwise destroy the invaders.

Allergies is a reaction that occurs when your immune system goes nuts (that was not a pun for you pitiable people who are allergic to one of the world's greatest foods - peanuts). Instead of specifically targeting what's a real threat to you, it choosing something that can't really hurt you and goes ballistic. It's like a paranoid soldier firing a bazooka at anything that moves in sight, regardless of whether it's military personnel or a civilian.

So when the body inhales pollen, the immune system not only recognizes it as "not-self," but goes crazy in attacking it. If you think about it, you allergic reaction is exactly the same as your reaction to when you have a cold. You sneeze, get runny noses, etc. After prolonged exposure, you can actually get fever (hence the name "hay fever").

And people with allergies can conceivably have lower rates of cancer, because their immune systems are very, very active. Your immune system is what naturally eliminates cancer cells from your body, because cancer cells can actually look slightly different from normal cells. That's why researchers are trying to develop treatments for cancer that involve enhancing the immune system in its ability to attack those cancer cells. (By the way, I totally take credit for independently coming up with this idea back in college. Not that I mind that I won't be recognized - I'll eventually directly benefit from this research myself one day. Have you seen my cartoons, by the way? ).

Vitamin C is known for enhancing your immune system, which is why it's recommended that you take massive doses when you're down with the cold or the flu. In everyday parlance, it "strengthens the immune system."

But then you get into a problem. If allergies comes from a hyperactive immune system, then wouldn't taking Vitamin C, which would make it even stronger, make allergies worse?

Well, people aren't entirely accurate when they say that Vitamin C makes the immune system "stronger."
Vitamin C makes the immune system more efficient. It makes its targeting system more effective, so it's not wasting its ammunition on targets that have nothing to do with your health or bodily defense. And it's not blowing up the battlefield, which is your body. So when you take Vitamin C, your immune system goes only for what it needs to, and you have less false alarms and unnecessary explosions that are the sneezing and runny noses of allergies.

See Part II for how to best take Vitamin C


This product claims timed release, which means that you can absorb more Vitamin C overall. See the next post for details. You can order this particular product online if you click the picture above.

Click here to suggest this blogpost to StumbleUpon: 

21 comments:

  1. pls how do i know if i have hyperactive immune system cause i react to vitamin c.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I had allergies as well and I was at the point of getting confused in life because it was really making me feel unsettled. I am living in the Caribbean so I couldn't have an idea of where to get a neti pot. But I came across a testimony of a lady on how she was introduced to a herbal doctor called Dr Ighodalo by her cousin's friend when i was on a research but i never thought this could cure my allergies. I decided to give it a try with my doubting mindset and i contacted the mail of the doctor she placed on her testimony via dr.ighodalocuringhome@gmail.com and i got a reply immediately i messaged him, I followed his instructions and did all he asked me to do and apply the remedy he sent for me as he instructed and now am cured totally and really a happy mom. So i decided to share my experience because i believe that there are still lives out there that really needs to get out of this Allergic diseases please you can get in touch with Dr IGHODALO immediately to help you get cured totally via dr.ighodalocuringhome@gmail.com thank you.

      Delete
    2. I have recently become allergic to anything , including friction and water ,amongst the usual stuf ( dairy , sugar , milk, nuts, polyester etc ) My skin would blow up in humungous instances of hives, headaches , high blood. The doctor told me that my case was most severe and put me on cortizone and some other tabs. This was after I visited my other doctor who prescribed very strong antihistamines. After the first course of cortizone was coming to a close, the symptoms becomes worse and the people i showed them to , became afraid. Back to the doctor ,Stronger meds and more cortizone. That was a week ago. I decided to stop the cortizone, as I felt that the symptoms may just return , as it did the previous two occasions, and for the last week i have been taking 4000mg vitamin c daily. Today im increasing the dose till i can completely rid myself of these allergies. Up til now, it seems to be working, i still have some skin irritations and hot flushes but not nearly as bad as two weeks ago. I have read some people go up to as much as 40 000mg daily.

      Delete
  2. just wanted to say, though your blog is ugly as sin, it actually has some really interesting and occasionally funny articles on it. keep it up (and find a new template)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vitamins C is quite quick to soak up, so you don't have to stress about deciding on a solution with the right products.

    childrens lemonade stand

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice information though your blog,and very interesting blog.
    Allergy Treatment

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHAHAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA I laughed to tears at the paranoid soldier. You are badass, thanx for the info man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had allergies by particles in the air. I got a system from Chicago Air Purification and it solved my allergy issues. Thanks CAP guys for your awesome system. Check out their site at www.chicagoairpurification.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is funny that you did not mention the guy who pioneered the vitamin C intake: his name is Linus Pauling and he was (so far) the only person to score the Noble prize twice, all by himself. Needless to say that he was a chemist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially considering Pauling had absolutely no research whatsoever to back up his claims that mega-dosing on vitamins will be more beneficial than the recommended daily allowance, but people believed him anyway because he won two Nobel prizes so apparently you don't need to show your work after that. When people started doing some research, they found out that vitamin C does absolutely nothing for preventing a cold, though it can reduce the symptoms once you have it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10796569

      Pauling, on the other hand, believed that vitamin C prevented colds and even cancer.
      He died of cancer in 1994.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for your article on vitamin C and allergies. A friend told me a long time ago that I should take massive doses or Vitamin C to cure my allergies and I never got around to it. Once again I hear it again. I have tried everything! I have had allergies like hayfever and allergy induce asthma since I was a little girl. I have tried honey which helps a little but with seasonal allergies but I'm diabetic and it's a high glycemic food which raises my blood sugars, so no honey for me. I've tried every antihistamine you could think of and they all make me either feel sick or tired all the time. So I'm going to give this high doses of Vitamin C a chance. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe it works, I have suffered allergies and high doses have eased symptoms. I especially have found this with skin allergies I have suffered for years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How long does the effect lasts after your course of 5g/day for 3 weeks?
    When i get off my daily dose of 500mg, allergy symptoms return very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some random person I met flying back home told me about Linus Pauling and the theory of vitamin C. I started at the beginning of August with 2,000mg a day plus my regular veggie & fruit juice adding red bell pepper to it and so far I only took one anti histamine in 45 days. Why stop the intake of Vit C if it's natural and good for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linus Pauling is a two-time Nobel Prize winner who had absolutely no research to back up his claims on megadosing. It wasn't even a "theory" of vitamin C (as a "theory" in science means something different than in common speech), but an untested hypothesis. When people started doing some research, they found out that vitamin C does absolutely nothing for preventing a cold, though it can reduce the symptoms once you have it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10796569

      Pauling, on the other hand, believed that vitamin C prevented colds and even cancer.
      He died of cancer in 1994.

      Delete
    2. He was 93 years old when he died of prostate cancer. He lasted a pretty darn long time before SOMETHING got him. No matter how long we live, we always die of disease. Our bodies don't just say to themselves, "Well, we've been here long enough. Heart, stop beating. Lungs, stop breathing. It's time to go to sleep." Something always KILLS us.

      Delete
  12. Hi from Toronto with another anecdote about curing severe allergy with Vitamin C,

    About 25 years ago I cured my cat allergy with vitamin C. I had cats all my life, then for grad school moved to a more polluted area (Toronto) and lived without cats for a few (3) years. When I got cats again it was awful! Sneezing, itchiness inside my throat, eyes and ears, stuffy nose, wheezing. I didn't want to live without cats, so I was taking antihistamines all the time--so much that my eyeballs were getting dry!! Then in spring with tree pollen added, I developed hay fever and had to get an asthma puffer!

    After having a cold and noticing that I stopped sneezing for about an hour after taking vit C 500mg, I thought I'd try it for some relief from the allergies. I used 500 mg chewables, no measured daily doses, just stopped chewing them when they stopped tasting good. My vit C usage was high at first, but the relief was enormous. After several months I noticed that I had stopped taking antihistamines altogether and that my vit C consumption was way down. My allergies were completely gone within the year. No more wheezing, no more itchy eyes. I have lived happily with cats, and trees, ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also cured my seasonal allergies with high does of vitamin C. It took a long time to be completely and truly cured. I found 10 grams a day quickly gave relief from symptoms. But when I stopped the "C", symptoms immediately came back, so at that point it was a satisfactory treatment, but not yet a cure. Since the "C" had none of the side effects of decongestants and antihistamines, I kept up with the daily "C".

    But after several years of "C", the high dose began to give me some intestinal trouble so I cut back. Then I noticed I could even stop the supplement altogether with *absolutely no allergy issues*, I call that CURED. I stopped the "C" for a couple of years now, but I intend to start again at a lower level because I think it benefits my immune system, even though the allergies have not returned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend has seasonal allergy and on consuming Gooseberry Juice he got it cured within 7 days. Gooseberry is the powerhouse of vitamin c and Iron. I drink its juice every day twice. Thank you for sharing the information about Vitamins C.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your composing is purely awe-inspiring that I desired to read such high quality material...

    dust cleaners

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good article, though i am wondering, when people here say in comments that taking vitamin C has cured their pollen allergies, cat allergies etc, are they really treating it or is it that continuously taking Vitamin C might actually be suppressing your immune system, which is why their allergies are gone.

    ReplyDelete

Promote Podcast